Friday, May 10, 2013

Our Secret Finally Revealed

It's been a crazy 6 months in the Brodersen household.  We have been talking about moving closer to my work for years.  I've looked at hundreds of homes, and I just never found anything I liked.  In October, I finally found a home I really liked, but it was already under contract.  So the realtor started doing some more digging.  Life was crazy with two kids, we just didn't have the time to keep seriously looking. Well, my mom came in over Thanksgiving which gave Bart and I some time to look at homes without kids.  We just couldn't find any we liked, but we did find a neighborhood we fell in love with, and a lot that we really liked.  We showed it to my mom...her exact words, "Diane, you'd be crazy to pass this up."  A week later, December 2nd, 2012 with two kids in tow we met the builder rep at the lot...five hours later...we signed a contract to build our custom dream home!!!  Check out Taya behind our lot sign.
 We took part in every step of the building process with the builder.
Every weekend we would take the girls to see the progress.
For some reason, every time we got to the lot...Taya would just have to use this gross potty.
 Seeing the SOLD sign was so exciting for me.  I finally bought my first home...and got to build it exactly like I wanted it!
The framing.
 The most stressful part for me was designing the inside of the home.  So many choices between cabinets, tile, bathroom floors, hardware, granite...I just didn't want to make the wrong choice.  I can't believe Bart, my mom, and our designer were able to deal with my crazy self through the design process.
So exciting to see the home come together.
 Teagan checking out her HUGE closet!
 Taya measuring the windows in her room.
 She was so excited to move into her new home.
 Wow...now it was all coming together.
 It seemed like forever to get to this point...
 but the more work we saw...the more we saw our dream home become a reality.
 Seeing the sheetrock throughout the home was a highlight.  This is the girls playroom.
 I was happy the kitchen I designed actually looked good in the home.
 The girls checking out the neighbors.  This is Taya's pink room.  She picked the color herself.
 Day of closing...April 26th 2013...we got the keys!!!
 The finished product!
 We closed at noon on Friday, April 26th.  My mom (with the two girls) met the movers at the storage unit at 12:00, at the same time my dad was at the house meeting the guys delivering all of our new furniture and also our refrigerator/freezer...and by 2:00 the movers were moving everything into our home!  It just so happened the ice cream truck came by...we were ready to celebrate!!!!
We have been in our home for two weeks.  My parents have been here the entire two weeks, and we could have never done all of this without them.  Bart has been out of town all but 5 days in the last two weeks, and I have worked non-stop. So needless to say my parents have done the majority of unpacking, decorating, heavy lifting, and getting the house livable.   If you can believe it, they have already planted over 50 flowers to make the outside look so colorful.  My mom says she is not leaving till everything is done.  They plan to leave on Sunday, which means we have one more marathon day of working...and the house will be done. 
Below is a link of how this whole process of building our dream home started.  It takes 10 seconds for the video to start.  Just click on Brodersen Dream Home.


No comments: